Since United Nations member states adopted an agenda in 2015 for sustainable development including 17 aspirations known as the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), Walgreens Boots Alliance has worked to ensure that our overall CSR strategy and goals work to achieve the SDGs.
Every Walgreens Boots Alliance CSR goal has been mapped to one or multiple SDGs to make it easier to measure progress and report our findings. Our approach to aligning with the SDGs was broken down into five key steps:
- Understanding the SDGs: We reviewed the scope of all 17 goals and worked to understand the different targets that feed into each of the goals.
- Embedding the SDGs into our goals: After a thorough understanding of what each of the 17 SDGs entail, we worked to align this understanding into our CSR goals. The SDGs helped to not only streamline the way we work toward our goals, but also to reinforce their motivation and direction.
- Integrating the SDGs into our activities: We are working within our individual businesses to address specific targets that are relevant to the SDGs.
- Communicating and engaging our people: In order to continue the alignment to the SDGs, we are educating and engaging our employees and customers about how they can have a positive impact and helping the Company achieve its goals.
- Measuring and reporting progress: Alignment to the SDGs is a journey and we are only at the beginning. We are dedicated to communicating our progress and connection to the SDGs in our annual CSR report. By taking the first steps to align with international frameworks (such as the Global Reporting Initiative), we are excited to share our progress against the SDGS on an annual basis.
Given our global impact, we have decided to take the approach of addressing as many of the SDGs as we can, in areas where we as a Company can be the most impactful. We recognize that the 17 SDGs are interconnected and, with multiple strands of activities throughout our lines of business, we can make a significant and meaningful contribution to end poverty, hunger and inequality, take action on climate change and the environment, improve access to health and education, build strong institutions and partnerships, and more.